Alley Docking K53
Alley docking is a manoeuvre which forms part of the yard test in the k53 drivers license test.
Getting in position for the Alley Docking Procedure.
- The examiner will direct you to a demarcated area to begin the alley docking procedure.
- Obey all road rules as you approach the starting point.
- Stop your vehicle within the demarcated starting area, pull up your handbrake and put your car in neutral.
- Check your rear view mirror and blindspot before indicating towards the appropriate side.
- Select reverse gear and balance the clutch.
- Perform a 360 degree observation (blind spot, rear-view mirror, opposite blind spot) starting from the opposite side of the turning direction.
- Release the handbrake before moving off slowly.
Docking the Vehicle
- Maintain a slow pace for best control.
- Check the blindspot opposite to turning direction once more before steering the car into the ‘alley’
- Guide the car initially by looking over your shoulder
- Check side mirrors to align the car between the parking cones.
- Look over your shoulder and bring the car to a stop before going too far.
- Pull up the handbrake and put the vehicle in neutral.
K-53 Alley Docking Tips
- You are allowed to stop at any time during alley docking.
- You are allowed 2 attempts, but rolls in the opposite direction result in an instant fail.
- Don’t touch any of the cones/ poles or you will fail.
- Make sure to observe and indicate correctly before moving and off after completing the procedure.